Thankful Thursday: Writing a Wrong

Brian's Home. Adopt cats, we deserve it!

I think we often take for granted the power we have, not just as cats, dogs, pigs, donkeys, and birds, but as bloggers and as a powerful blogging community.  While there are many things we do well, one of the things we excel at it identifying a wrong and going after it head first.  We’ve tackled many challenges over the years, some with success, and some with little to show for it.  But that does not stop us from trying.

The matter at paw I am addressing is the recent attack on cats.  Several of those attacks have come from unsuspecting places and from those we might have considered as allies.  The most recent attack comes in the form of funded research which has drawn the conclusion that us cats are decimating the bird population.  I am sure you have seen it, at least I know lots of you have, because I have seen your writings in response to this attack.

My friend June, from Alley Cat Allies summed it up nicely in a newletter I received, so I shall just quote it…

“Articles scapegoating cats have been all over the news this week, from The New York Times to USA Today.

These stories are based on biased research that could lead to more outdoor cats being rounded up and killed. It’s absolutely horrifying.

The media are relying on a so-called “study” funded by the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s Division of Migratory Birds that recklessly perpetuates a bogus debate. It’s propaganda, and Alley Cat Allies is demanding that the Smithsonian denounce it.

This “study” is a direct attack on our progress with Trap-Neuter-Return. In communities across the country, TNR stabilizes and reduces the population of feral cats and saves millions of cats from being killed in shelters. This Smithsonian report is a desperate attempt to set back that progress.

Please, don’t let that happen. We need you to stand with us right away. We have to stop this junk science advocating for the mass killing of cats and immediately combat the lies.

Speak out and stand with us. Tell the Smithsonian: Stop spreading junk science that will kill cats.

This “study” was authored by researchers with an anti-cat track record. It appeared in the online journal Nature Communications.

The authors arrived at their chosen conclusion by cherry-picking data in the most egregious fashion. Worse still, they cite a discredited researcher, a colleague who was convicted and then fired for trying to poison cats.

Let’s be clear: the real threats to birds and other wildlife populations—deforestation, climate change, and habitat destruction—are being ignored.

We cannot stand for cats to be scapegoats.

More killing should never be the answer. We’ve got to come together and speak out now to save cats’ lives—they’re counting on us.

Click here to tell the Smithsonian to stop spreading false information that puts cats at risk.

If you have not done so already, please go sign the petition.  Then write about it and help call attention to this wrong.

Then there is another story that caught my attention in The New Zealand Herald.  If you have not seen it, here is the leading paragraph…

“Top New Zealand economist Gareth Morgan is launching a campaign to eradicate domestic cats.”

If you care to read the story, you can find it HERE.

Both stories are harmful to us cats and, as June pointed out above, can lead to more homeless and helpless cats.

So, let’s do what we do best, write, write, write and make sure you make your feelings known.  Writing about wrongs is something we should never be afraid to tackle so we can right these wrongs.  And no matter what this humans say, I say adopt cats, we deserve it!!!!!  More Forever Homes More Often!  Purrrrr! Zip! Later!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

47 thoughts on “Thankful Thursday: Writing a Wrong

1. Sparkle

My human signed the Alley Cat Allies form yesterday – I am glad to see there is a growing backlash to this awful smear campaign! We must keep it up!

2. Marg

I sure did sign the petition. That just makes me sick. The TNR program is helping so many cats and also people don’t realize that someone is usually feeding these cats that are trapped, neutered and returned. And if the cats are getting food they are not going to catch birds as much as they would if they were starved.
    We sure will write about this.

3. easy rider

I hope they will stop this useless junk science. During the years we had to bear a lot of trash what they were selling to us as “scientific facts”. I will sign the form too and I hope it works…

4. Pat Hatt

The cat read about this the other day but pffted it off as some nut. Never knew it had spread so far. I guess a rant is now due at my bar. All studies are a bunch of biased crap, trying to blame something else and blind people to the real issues.

5. Cathy Keisha

I’ll sign the petition. Have you seen the site http://www.voxfelina.com/ ? The site is dedicated to analysis of these claims against feral cats. My video was a satire on the study about how cats are killers. Climate change and harmful chemicals are the real killers. Feral cats have always existed so why the big fuss now.

6. mary jane

My mommy & daddy don’t let either us ever outside to do anything.. We are indoor kitteh cats. Sure we look at the birds and squirrels but we don’t do any animal or human any harm..We are loved and cared for and never left outside to fend for ourselves, my Mommy and Daddy were upsett by the article in the news papers and radio and tv..We don’t live in a world of outdoorness and to tell the truth shelters here will not let any kittehs be adopted if they cannot be inside kitteh cats..Have a wonderful day Brian and your sweet kittey cats, my Mommy thinks you are the bees knees if you know what we mean..ciao & peace and love!!!!!!!!!!

7. CatonsvilleCats

Don’t they know that the drastic reduction in the population of cats in 13th and 14th century Europe was responsible for the drastic increase in rodents that led to the Black Plague?? Sheesh. Ignoramuses.

8. Janet@TheCatOnMyHead

Thank you for this very thoughtful and well-written post. We had planned to mention the plight of our beloved kitties in a blog tomorrow. We will do that but also link to your site as we don’t think we could state the situation better than you have. Purrs and hugs from the kitties at http://www.thecatonmyhead.com, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Lisbeth, Astrid and Calista Josette

9. Abby

Brian
    we do not know why there always seems to be a rush to blame something that is not causing a problem, but in our society there seems to be on so many levels.

We are ashamed at how ppl blame innocent cats.

10. CATachresis

There was an item on a chat programme in the UK today about this!! They had a cat “hater” and cat “lover” going head to head. The thing that was pointed out was that the study was spurious because no one, but no one, knows exactly what percentage of the total bird and small rodent population have been killed by cats! It could be (and probably is) exceedingly small. Much more damage is done to wildlife by humans!

11. Gizmo (@GizmoGeodog)

Shame on the Smtihsonian for lending the power of their name to this…Sahme on them Morgan is a loon and hopefully folks will realize that and treat his insanity as the joke that it is…around the world we are trying to save animals from extinction caused by man…and this fool wants to eliminate an entire beloved species…aaargh!

12. Glogirly & Katie

Thank you so much Brian for sharing the link to “sign” the petition. Consider it done.

We’ve been just so shocked at the crazy momentum this ridiculous story has gotten. The Smithsonian should be ashamed. The ramifications of their actions and words could be devastating.

13. Katie Isabella

Thank you Brian. I was horrified at these attacks on cats and that so-called decent types of media propelled it forward and even called cats murderers. COME ON! Murderers??? Aside from everything else it was and is a horrific attack on a species and I am afraid of the consequences.